Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Of Snake Tails...

In Progress
I didn't set out trying to make a piece the looked like a snake's tail.  But that's what it looks like to me.  Snakes are not usually something I look to for inspiration, but I respect them like all other animals, and enjoy seeing them in nature when the opportunity arises. And if they are poisonous I like them at a safe distance!

Maybe I chose to make this piece that looks like a snake's tail because it says something about my life right now or how I am feeling.   Or perhaps it was the pretty little snake I found under a rock one day next to my hives.

Once in graduate school we had a seminar with Charon Kransen.  He spoke to us about ideas and inspiration.  And one of the things he said has always stuck with me.  It was something to the effect of:  True work never lies about the artist.

I'm not exactly sure what this piece is saying about me right now, but never the less I am pleased with its execution and the way it turned out!  I incorporated some found rubber I liked, recycled antique roofing copper that was die-formed, and sand casting to reproduce the bail I had first carved out of copper.
Finished Piece
Have a lovely Thursday everyone!

Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment